March 08, 2009

An interview with a photographer

Last week Joanna asked me to go to an interview with the photographer, he is Shen Chao-Liang. The artist chose COZY which is my favorite coffee shop in Shida. We three had a good time there for almost 2 hours and Shen was so kind to share lots of his ideas and inspirations for his photography with us. I feel so lucky to be there and have such a amazing and unforgettable experience. To see artists and talk to them about their art works face to face is a rare chance, so I treasure our time so much.

I’m trying to make a summary about what we talked about last night:

Shen’s photography is separated to in different series such as Happy Landing, Yulan Maglonia flowers, Nan-fang-ao and Fish market. The reason why he chose these topics is that he wants to reflect our culture and talk deeply about the stories of our society in Taiwan. In one hand, he wants to make better understanding of local daily life to Taiwanese people. In the other hand, he took so many photos of people's smiles, work, and face to make the moment last. And what’s most important of all, he is touched by his own works and he wants more people to be touched through his art. Therefore, he continues that calling and it seems that he will not stop in the future.


He said, beautiful pictures would not always reflect our time, but the pictures which truely reflect our time could be beautiful.

Thanks Jo invited me to the interview. Honestly, I'm not sure about what I translated is correct and complete. But I've tried by best :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great review of our experiences Syliva. Thank you so much for your help.

Best wishes for this week,
Joanna

Li-Hsuan said...

I'm so glad that we two always could have such wonderful experiences together. And thanks for your photos too :)